Computer networking was invented to make the computers communicate with each other. Communication between computers is faster and easier than any other mode of communication. In addition to providing faster communication, computer networking empowered the computer users to to access remote programs and databases. Apart from these plus points, there are several other benefits of computer networks. Computer networking reduces the business process expenditure by making hardware and software resources remotely accessible and by downsizing to microcomputer-based networks instead of using mainframes. Accumulating data from multiple resources has become effortless process, which also ensures the reliability of the information.
Definition Of Computer Network
A computer network is defined as an interconnected system in which computers are interlinked to each other for communication purpose so that resources and information could be accessed by all connected nodes.
Menace to Computer Networks
Computer hacking poses a very grave danger to computer networks. This threat is defined by infringement on the secure private information or illegal modification of files, web pages or software stored on computer. Computers are hacked because important and critical data are stored on these machines. One common perception is that all computer hackers are outsiders, who must be prevented from accessing the protected computer networks illegally. But that is not completely true. An evil insider with sinister intention could as dangerous as an outsider is! The most common form of computer hacking are:-
1. Illegal entry into any protected computer system.
2. Unlawful modification, deletion and access denial to data stored on a computer system.
3. Illegitimate searching and browsing.
4. Unauthorized attempts to breach computer security system.
The objective of illegal entry is access some secret and important data. There could be different forms of such attacks, such as unlawful execution of commands, breaching confidentiality, data deletion and data diddling.
Generally unknown and untrustworthy persons are not allowed to execute commands on a protected machine. When such an act takes place, network security is breached. Such problem could happen either through normal user access or administrator access. A normal user is allowed to perform certain operations on a computer like reading and writing files, sending e mails, etc. A hacker requires that access to perform all those operations. Certain operations could be performed only by system administrators, such as changing configuration settings. Without gaining administrator privilege, a hacker cannot perform this system operation.
There are two types of destructive attacks,namely data diddling and data deletion. Data is manipulated in the data diddling process without the knowledge of the user. The effects of data diddling becomes visible to the user after a log period. I the data deletion process, the critical data is destroyed for ever.
How To Stop Hacking
There are a number of ways to deter hacking.
1. Acceptable user policies should be clearly established and disseminated to the concerned users.
2. Sufficient backups should be taken periodically. Data backup services are rendered by PC Support providers.
3. The use of filters should be considered to deny access to unauthorized elements. Effective firewalls could be installed with the help of network support providers.
4. The operating system installed on the computer must be updated as and when required. Many PC support providers render support for various operating systems.
5. The security system with single point of failure should be avoided. Any security system that could be easily breached by breaking through any one component is not a good one.
6. It is advisable to take the help of PC Support provider when security is breached. New methods of hacking always keep coming up. It is difficult for a common user to keep abreast of latest means of hacking. Since Network Support providers always keep themselves updated on all the latest developments on hacking, it is prudent to use their services.